Monday, September 14, 2009

Rooftop Farms

So, I finally made it to Rooftop Farms in Greenpoint yesterday to scope out what they're up to and how they've managed to grow vegetables and fruits atop the City That Never Sleeps. I must say, it's a great space albeit smaller than I had envisioned.

They had what looked to be a decent year despite the bad weather. Lots of healthy looking tomatoes, chard, kale, cilantro, lettuce, winter squash, beans, eggplants, peppers, etc.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get details on the technical considerations, since apparently Goode Green did the design and installation of the greenroof without involving the farmers themselves.

Nevertheless, I got some cool shots on my phone and will return (next week, assuming I get all my fall seeds planted on Friday or Saturday) to help and -- hopefully -- learn something about composting sans worms.


An unassuming building topped by a very cool roof.



No comments:

Post a Comment